AB Marine Boat Based Whale & Dolphin Watching in Algoa Bay.
Born out of 20 Years experience escorting international tourists on dive tours to follow, experience and film the Sardine Run, AB Marine is one of only two licensed Boat Based Whale and Dolphin Watching Eco Tourism outfits in Algoa Bay. Our license allows us to approach whales and dolphins to within 50 meters – considerably closer than the 300 metre exclusion zone for non-licensed sea going vessels.
We are Whale and Dolphin Watching in Algoa Bay.
AB Marine acknowledges that one cannot guarantee sightings of cetaceans. But, we do offer a ‘ComeAgainTee‘ – should you fail to see Whales or Dolphins on any of our designated Whale and Dolphin Watching trips we will issue you with a voucher inviting you to ‘Come Again’ on us.
What makes us stand out is the following:
- Our vessels are a Super Duck and a Hard Chine monohull.
- You will be close to the sea and action.
- Our vessels are not suited for persons seeking ‘champagne cruises’ but rather for adventure seekers craving a close connection with the sea, birds, animals and fish.
- As the holder of a Boat Based Whale and Dolphin Watching permit we may approach Whales to within 50 meters, Dolphins to within 25 meters, penguins and seals to within 10 metres.
- Our qualified guides are fluent in German, English, Afrikaans and (on request) Xhosa
- We are the only operator offering a ‘ComeAgainTee’ voucher should we fail to sight Whales or Dolphins on your trip
- Years of experience and world recognised staff offer a wide range of knowledge.
- We offer a maximum of two trips per day and are very flexible in terms of duration and ‘getting the shot’
- Rainer and Silke have years of experience escorting World renowned photographers and film crews (e.g. National Geographic and BBC)
- A trip with AB Marine is a close-up adventure offering you a visceral connection with the sea and any marine mammals that approach the vessel.
AB Marine’s Offerings:
- Boat Based Whale and Dolphin Watching – R1000 per person (Special up until March 2020) Not suitable for Children below 6 years of age. Minimum of 3 persons with an 8 person Maximum
- Create your own adventure – book the entire vessel and we will create an adventure tailored to your needs and desires – R8000 (Special up until March 2020). 8 person Maximum.
- Beachfront Cruise – R450 per person (Special up until March 2020). Minimum of 4 persons with an 8 person Maximum.
- Harbour Cruises – R200 per person. (Special up until March 2020). Minimum of 6 persons with an 8 person Maximum.
- Volunteer Programme – enquire for price
1. Whale and Dolphin Watching
We are licensed to take you as close as 50 meters to whales and 25 meters to dolphins. On departing from the Port, we will go directly to the the last known sightings of dolphins and last position of Humpback Whales, Southern Right Whales, Brydes Whales or Killer Whales. Once sighted we will spend up to 1.5 hours with the animals watch their behaviour and explain to you in detail what we are observing! Algoa Bay is unique and hosts whales all year long! Water and snacks will be provided.
2. Create your own adventure
AB Marine will tailor a unique adventure or cruise just for you – tell us what you want and we will create a special experience for you and your loved ones, your office party, media launch, client appreciation event, bucket list item – imagine an African Sunset at sea – or whatever takes your fancy.
3. Beachfront Cruise
We will exit the Port of Port Elizabeth and head along the popular beachfront past Kings Beach, Humewood, Shark Rock Pier, Hobie Beach, Pollock Beach and towards Cape Recife – we may be blessed to view Southern Right Whales between Kings and Hobie Beach, Bottlenose Dolphins off the harbour wall or the best sighting of all – Humpback Dolphins on the way to Cape Recife.
4. Harbour Cruise
Departing from the Port Elizabeth Deep Sea Angling Club (PEDSAC) we will tour the Port of Port Elizabeth. Ideal for first timers on the sea and those interested in seeing the port which is considered as an important contributor to the economy of Port Elizabeth and Nelson Mandela Bay.
5. Volunteer programme
PLEASE NOTE: As we are reliant on the weather and wild animals AB Marine cannot guarantee any sightings. AB Marine will do our best to show you as much as possible, however there are days when dolphins and whales are to far out and beyond our reach. No refund will be given if you, on that very rare occasion, do not see dolphins or whales. If your booked and paid for trip is cancelled due to inclement weather you will get a full refund or an alternative date.