Our day trip options (Book Below – pre-booking essential):
Born out of 20 Years experience escorting international tourists on dive tours to follow, experience and film the Sardine Run, AB Marine is one of only two licensed Boat Based Whale and Dolphin Watching Eco Tourism outfits in Algoa Bay. Our license allows us to approach whales and dolphins to within 50 meters – considerably closer than the 300 metre exclusion zone for non-licensed sea going vessels.
We are Whale and Dolphin Watching in Algoa Bay.
AB Marine acknowledges that one cannot guarantee sightings of cetaceans. But, we do offer a ‘ComeAgainTee‘ – should you fail to see Whales or Dolphins on any of our designated Whale and Dolphin Watching trips we will issue you with a voucher inviting you to ‘Come Again’ on us.
What makes us stand out is the following:
- We operate the largest Whale Watching vessel in Algoa Bay with the smallest number of guests – capped at a maximum of 12
- 95% of the time we have three staff present – personal and attentive service from qualified Marine Tour Guides
- Our vessel is the only one with onboard toilet facilities
- A comfortable upper deck offers unsurpassed views of the action
- A fully enclosed cabin and sheltered aft area offers great protection from the elements
- Our qualified guides are fluent in German, English, Afrikaans and (on request) Xhosa
- We are the only operator offering a ‘ComeAgainTee’ voucher should we fail to sight Whales or Dolphins on your trip
- Years of experience and world recognised staff offer a wide range of knowledge.
- We offer a maximum of two trips per day and are very flexible in terms of duration and ‘getting the shot’
- Rainer and Silke have years of experience escorting World renowned photographers and film crews (e.g. National Geographic and BBC)
- A trip with AB Marine is personal, comfortable, longer than most and action packed.
AB Marine’s Three Offerings:
- Boat Based Whale and Dolphin Watching – 90€ per person, 70€ for children 6 and below, Children 2 and below – Free.
- Create your own adventure – book the entire vessel and we will create an adventure tailored to your needs and desires – enquire for price.
- Volunteer Programme – enquire for price
1. Whale and Dolphin Watching
We are licensed to take you as close as 50 meters to whales and dolphins. On departing from the Port, we will go directly to the the last known sightings of dolphins and last position of Humpback Whales, Southern Right Whales, Brydes Whales or Killer Whales. Once sighted we will spend up to 1.5 hours with the animals watch their behaviour and explain to you in detail what we are observing! Algoa Bay is unique and hosts whales all year long! Water and snacks will be provided.
2. Create your own adventure
AB Marine will tailor a unique adventure or cruise just for you – tell us what you want and we will create a special experience for you and your loved ones, your office party, media launch, client appreciation event, bucket list item – imagine an African Sunset at sea – or whatever takes your fancy.
3. Volunteer programme
PLEASE NOTE: As we are reliant on the weather and wild animals AB Marine cannot guarantee any sightings. AB Marine will do our best to show you as much as possible, however there are days when dolphins and whales are to far out and beyond our reach. No refund will be given if you, on that very rare occasion, do not see dolphins or whales. If your booked and paid for trip is cancelled due to inclement weather you will get a full refund or an alternative date.
6 Day Weather Forecast for Algoa Bay, Port Elizabeth, Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality
More about our local weather:
Our weather patterns come from the West. Algoa Bay is east facing and the two prevailing winds are from the west and the east. The west wind tends to flatten the sea whilst the east wind will bring large swells into Algoa Bay. The East is the preferred wind for sailors and Kite Surfers (who prefer an onshore wind) with it’s large swells and higher winds making for exhilarating wet sailing. Surfers look out for an east followed by a west to flatten the large swells and make them surf-able. Smaller vessels tend to get wet in high east winds and the ride can be bumpy.
The AB Marine vessel is the largest vessel in Algoa Bay offering Whale Watching with an elevated deck so, in comparison to other vessels, our passengers do not get as wet when the sea conditions turn ugly.
Different tours will benefit from different weather conditions as we go to different parts of the Bay. Compounding the conundrum is the fact that we need a high concentration of fish stock within the confines of the bay in order to see the predators such as Whales, Sharks and Dolphins. Here we rely on the counter current and the East wind to bring swell into the bay.
So, the ideal time to see whales and dolphins is ‘normally’ under a combination of factors: the right time of the season, after a prolonged east wind, followed by a gentle west, lots of bait fish activity PLUS the counter Agulhas current working in our favour to bring nutrients and fish into Algoa Bay.